Sunday, July 22, 2012

Adding Mixed Numbers with the same Denominators - Interactive Math Lesson

Adding Mixed Numbers with the same Denominators - Interactive Math LessonLesson: Adding Mixed Numbers with the same Denominators
File: Interactive Flash (swf)
Grade/s: 5-6


Adding Mixed Numbers with the same Denominators

Do you know how to make a banana cake and an apple cake??
Can you help me solve my problem?

I want to make a banana cake and I will use 2 1/3 cups of flour. I also want to make an apple cake and I will use 2 1/3 cups of flour. I'm wondering how many cups of flour I will use to make these cakes.
What will I do to solve this problem?

Before we add 2 1/3 and 1 1/3, let us illustrate each mixed number first.
How do we add mixed numbers?
Follow these steps:
Step 1: First add the fractions.
Step 2: Add the whole number parts of the mixed numbers.
2 1/3 1 1/3 = 3 2/3
Putting steps 1 and 2 together: 2 1/3 1 1/3 = 3 2/3
My problem was solved! I need 3 2/3 cups of lour to make a banana cake and an apple cake.

The steps in adding mixed numbers with similar denominators are:
1. First add the fractions.
2. Add the whole numbers.
3. Combine the results.

Do you understand how to add mixed numbers?

Let's have another problem.
Tino harvested 5 3/5 kilos of mangoes and his brother Roel harvested 7 1/5 kilos. How much did they harvest together?

Solution: In the problem, the fractions given are:5 3/5 and 7 1/5.
To find out how much did they harvest together, we have to add 3/5 + 1/5 = 4/5, 5 + 7 =11
Tino and his brother harvested 11 4/5 kg of mangoes.

To better understand how to add mixed numbers with the same denominators, see this:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Math Interactive Whiteboard Resources