Parts of a division problem?
The dividend is the number you are dividing
The divisor is the number you are dividing by
The quotient is the evenly divided result
The remainder is what is left over that cannot be evenly divided
How do you solve a division problem?
1. Find the multiple of the divisor that comes closest to that number, without going higher.
Use your knowledge of math facts, or a multiplication grid.
2. Multiply the number that is the factor that you found times the divisor.
3. subtract the number you got by multiplying the divisor, from the number in the dividend.
The difference must be smaller than the divisor.
4. bring down the next number, from the number in the dividend.
5. Repeat the process for the ten's.
Try this game Fling the Teacher.
Math Game: Division by One Digit Divisor (for Interactive Whiteboard Use or any PC)