Reading and Writing Numbers Through Billions
File: Interactive PowerPoint Presentation and Flash Quiz
Of course you have heard of “large” numbers such as million or billion. But do you really know how large a billion is? Such large numbers will never be as familiar as small numbers such as 5.
Pretend that you decided to count to a billion. If you counted a number every second, you would be over 40 years old by the time you finished.
A million is 1000 thousand = 1 000 000
A billion is 1000 million. = 1000 000 000
654 003 021 493 is read as Six hundred fifty-four billion, three million, twenty-one thousand, four hundred ninety-three.
230 752 310 005 is read as Two hundred thirty billion, seven hundred fifty-two million, three hundred ten thousand, five.
Read these number words then write them in figures.
1. Three billion, forty-five million, two thousand, eight
2. Nine hundred seventy-five billion, four thousand
3. Six billion, three million
4. Eighteen billion, twenty-four
5. Three hundred thirty-six billion, four hundred eleven million, seven hundred six thousand, two hundred
Watch this video first before downloading the PowerPoint and Flash Quiz
Click here to Download the PowerPoint and Flash Quiz